Thursday, March 29, 2012

Chic Clubhouse

We were walking around the meatpacking district over the weekend and I noticed a nondescript door leading into a lovely mid-century building. The little black lettered plaque beside the door caught my attention with its very discreet script - Soho House.  When we lived in London I had a friend who was a member and so was invited to Soho and Shoreditch house a couple of times.  I have seen the episode of Sex and the City where Samantha sneaks into the club here in New York and have always been fascinated with the idea and nature of a private members club.  While I have never been to the one here I am sure that the rooftop pool on a hot Manhattan day is the place to be!


One of the most interesting (for me) addition to the Soho House chain is Soho House Berlin, which is housed in a late 1928 Bauhaus building.  The building has an incredible history as it used to be a department store until the government seized it for use in the Second World War as a Communist headquarters until the mid-fifties.  With 40 guest rooms spread over eight floors this club also features all the amenities that one is looking for as a member of the Soho House Group with a movie theatre, restaurant, bar and Cowshed spa.  The architecture of the building mixed with the eclectic mixed interior gives this club a great feel and is a place I could see myself spending a lot of time in.  Are any of you members of a private club - if so which one?









2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna,
    had the chance to spend a bit of time in Soho House Berlin last year. It was the place, where a great Blogger's Meetup and Holly Becker's book launch party took place.
    Indeed, the interior and the atmosphere there is really amazing! Would have loved to see a bit more of this place ... maybe. somewhen. in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Very cool. It doesn't look like any of the clubs I belong to!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome - I read each and every one of them and love hearing your thoughts and ideas.
Thank you for taking the time to visit Canoe Design and I look forward to hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...